Classic Margarita Cocktail Recipe
A firm favourite at cocktail bars and Mexican restaurants, a classic margarita cocktail is a combination of tequila, lime and triple sec. They can be served frozen or shaken but no matter how you chose to serve them, this is a delicious and refreshing cocktail. Let me show you how to make them yourself.
This recipe is broken down into two parts: the first part is to make a margarita mix, and the second part is how to make the margarita cocktail itself.
- 6 fresh limes or 100 ml lime juice
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 500 ml water
- Slice limes and extract the juice. If you are using fresh limes set aside the rinds for later use.
- Add the water, lime juice and sugar together in a saucepan and bring to the boil. If you are using fresh limes add these as well.
- Bring the ingredients to the boil and stir occasionally.
- Take the saucepan off the stove and strain into a jug or container.
- Set aside to cool and store it for later use.
- 25 ml Tequila
- 25 ml Triple Sec
- 35 ml margarita mix
- Handful ice cubes
- Salt to garnish glass
- Pour the flavoured tequila, Triple Sec and lime juice into a cocktail shaker. If you do not own a cocktail shaker, any durable jar or container with a lid will do.
- Add a handful of ice cubes and shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds.
- Dampen the edge of your glass with water and dip in salt to frost the rim.
- Strain your cocktail into a glass and be sure not to let the ice cubes fall in
- Drink and enjoy.