Honey and bourbon glazed gammon
There’s nothing more tempting than a beautifully glazed gammon and this recipe uses honey and bourbon to create an exceptional roast. Roast gammon is a surefire dish to impress your guests and the really great thing about this recipe is that it is so easy to make and still has loads of flavour.
Traditionally, one should occasionally brush glaze onto the gammon throughout the cooking process but if you don’t have time to do that, this glaze works just as well if added towards the end of the roast. Gammon isn’t just for Christmas anymore, it’s an impressive feast all year round – from birthday parties to New Year’s Eve – honey and bourbon glazed gammon will have your guests coming back for more.
Serve 4 – 6
- 1kg gammon joint, on the bone
- 150g brown sugar
- 125ml bourbon
- 60ml apple cider vinegar,
- 120ml honey
- 2 tsps Dijon mustard
- A few cloves
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Prepare the gammon for roasting by cutting a criss-cross diamond pattern into the top of your gammon to ensure that the glaze soaks all the way through, making the meat extra flavourful and tender, and press one clove into centre of each diamond.
- You will need to roast your gammon for 30 mins per 450g so if you have a larger gammon remember to increase your roasting time.
- Place bourbon, cider vinegar, honey, brown sugar and mustard in a medium pot and whisk together.
- Heat up mixture over a medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is at a rapid boil. Set aside.
- Brush or spoon the honey and bourbon glaze over the gammon and roast, basting every 15 – 20 minutes with extra glaze.
- Once the gammon is roasted transfer it to cutting board and apply one more coating of glaze.
- Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy your honey and bourbon glazed gammon!