Chicken satay is one of my favourite hors d’oeuvres to serve as a snack to kick off a party. You’ll fall in love with the succulent taste of this special satay recipe. You can spice it up with some chilli if you feel like something a bit spicier or you can exclude chilli and make a great snack for kids.
Strips of chicken are marinated in the satay sauce and then skewered and grilled. Serve them with peanut sauce for the ultimate taste sensation.
- 1/4 cup minced lemongrass
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
For the Meat:
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, cut into strips
- 1 package wooden skewers
For the Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tablespoons warm water, or more as needed
Instructions for Marinade:
- Make the marinade by placing the lemongrass, onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin, soy sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar, and oil in a food processor.
- Process well until everything is thoroughly mixed.
- In order for the satay to taste its best, the strongest flavors should be sweet and salty.
- Add more sugar or more fish sauce (in place of salt) to adjust the taste.
Instructions for Meat:
- Cut beef or chicken into small pieces or strips—thinner is better.
- Place in a bowl and pour the marinade over. Stir well to combine.
- Allow at least 2 hours for marinating, though longer is better.
- When ready to cook, thread meat onto the skewers. Fill up to 3/4 of the skewer, leaving the lower half empty so that you can easily turn the satay.
- Grill the satay, basting the first time you turn it with a little of the leftover marinade from the bowl. Depending on how thin your meat is, the satay should be done in 10 to 20 minutes.
- Serve along with peanut dipping sauce.
Instructions for Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- Add all ingredients apart from the water to a medium bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons of warm water or until you reach desired thinness.
- Pour into a serving bowl and serve alongside your chicken satay.