Mediterranean egg white omelette
I often mention my passion for Mediterranean food on this blog and I even wrote a book about it (All Sorts of Healthy Dishes – the Mediterranean way) and so making a Mediterranean egg white omelette was completely natural for me.
Egg whites are so good for you, they’re high in protein but low in calories and so this is a perfect dish for anyone who wants to lose a few kg’s. Start your day the Mediterranean way with this easy and delicious breakfast.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 fresh baby marrow, sliced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig dried rosemary
- Some fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First you will need to separate the egg whites from the yolks. To easily separate the eggs, first make sure your hands are clean, rinsed and dried.
- Crack all the eggs into a clean bowl making sure not to break the yolks. Have an empty ice tray ready on the side.
- Gently lift the egg yolk out with your clean hands and pop each one into an ice cube section in the ice tray.You can freeze the yolks and use them for whatever you need later on.
- Now that you have your eggs whites ready, season with a little pinch of pepper and salt and whisk the egg whites for about 10 seconds until foamy. Put it aside until needed.
- Dice the baby marrow, slice the onions and spring onions, crush the garlic and chop the cherry tomatoes.
- In a small pan pour a tablespoon of olive oil, add the chopped garlic, onion, spring onion and rosemary and cook until soft.
- Then add the baby marrow and cherry tomatoes. Remove from heat and season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Transfer the vegetables on a clean plate and pour the rest of the olive oil in the pan, place it over medium heat.
- Give the egg whites another quick whisk and pour into the pan.
- Cook the egg white omelette for 2 to 3 minutes until the top starts to set. Make sure that the omelette doesn’t stick to the pan and burn.
- Then take the pan off the heat and top the omelet with the stir fried vegetables.
- Sprinkle with extra pepper and garnish with the fresh basil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your Mediterranean egg white omelette.