15 Minute Gourmet – Prawn and broccoli with cashews
There is no reason that creating a delicious gourmet meal can’t be quick and easy, and this prawn and broccoli with cashews recipe proves it! It’s quick to prepare, tasty as anything and the crunchy, vibrant veggies add depth to the dish. You really can’t go wrong – I have even substituted the prawns out for calamari steak and it is still just as yummy. Perfect for a breezy, summer’s day or when you need to make a lasting impression on your guests.
- 1 small head of broccoli, broken up into florets
- 250g raw peeled prawns
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of finely diced or grated ginger
- 200g roasted cashew nuts (can they be salted?)
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Pour a few cups of boiling hot water to a pot and place over high heat.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes or until the broccoli is tender but not squishy.
- Strain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or a wok. You should have enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet, but you don’t need the prawns to be covered.
- Add the ginger and cashew nuts and stir-fry for a minute, stirring frequently.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the fish sauce, honey, sesame oil and lemon juice.
- Add the prawns to the pan and stir through for a minute and cook until the underside turns pink.
- Flip the prawns and cook until the entire outside is pink. Prawns lose their moisture quickly, so you just want to get the outsides nice and pink and then turn off the heat.
- Add the garlic and stir for 30 more seconds.
- Finally, add the pre-cooked broccoli, sauce and stir-fry together until the sauce thoroughly coats everything.
- Serve the prawn and broccoli with cashews immediately, while still nice and hot.