15 Minute Gourmet – Mushrooms with goats cheese and beetroot
These stuffed mushrooms with goats cheese and beetroot are the pint-sized gourmet snack you’ve been missing all your life. Goats’ cheese is one of my favourite cheeses and this recipe puts it to good use.
The walnut and goats cheese combine to create a subtle yet sensational flavour, while the beetroot makes sure that these hors-d’oeuvres are as easy on the eye as they are to eat. Bite-sized, tender and oozing with flavour, you might want to make two or three batches of these stuffed mushrooms with goats’ cheese and beetroot before your next big event.
Makes 10 – 12 gourmet mushroom bites
- 1 Tbsp pickled beetroot
- 1 x punnet (+/- 250g) portobello mushrooms
- 30g finely chopped walnuts
- 50g crumbled goats’ cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Baby leaves to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Lightly grease one baking tray.
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the stalks. Set the stalks to one side.
- Place the remaining mushrooms, rounded sides down on the baking tray and season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the walnuts and leftover mushrooms stalks.
- In a pot heat the olive oil and add the chopped walnuts and mushroom stalks.
- Heat and stir the mixture for 4-5 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and spoon the mixture into the whole mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms into the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, dice the beetroot and crumble the goats’ cheese.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and add some crumbled goats’ cheese to each.
- Return to oven and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the top of the goats’ cheese is lightly browned and the mushrooms are tender.
- Place the cooked and stuffed portobello mushrooms onto a platter garnished with baby leaves.
- Top off each mushroom with a small amount of diced beetroot.
- Serve and enjoy.