Halloween Pumpkin Pie Bars
October is the time to celebrate Halloween. While it isn’t such a huge event for us in South Africa, it’s still a great excuse to have some fun, get creative and indulge in some deliciousness.
These Halloween pumpkin pie bars are just the things to brighten up your spooky night. The creamy pumpkin filling is blended with plenty of warm spices, while the oat crust forms the perfect buttery base to make an All Hallows’ Eve pumpkin-spiced snack that melts in your mouth.
- 200g cake flour
- 30g brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 115g butter, softened
- 100g instant oats
- 2 large eggs
- 450g butternut or pumpkin purée
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground clove
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- Prepare the butternut/pumpkin purée by cleaning and dicing the butternut/pumpkin.
- Place the pieces into a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and continue on a low boil until tender.
- Drain and place in a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a square or rectangular ovenproof baking dish.
- In a large bowl place the flour, brown sugar, and pinch of salt and whisk to combine.
- Using your fingertips, add the butter into the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Stir in the quick oats and mix until combined.
- Pour the crust mixture into the baking dish and press down firmly with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, break the eggs into a medium bowl and beat well with a whisk.
- Add the butternut/pumpkin purée, sweetened condensed milk and spices, and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the butternut/pumpkin mixture over the crust and bake for 20-25 minutes until set.
- Remove from heat and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, cut into bars and serve your Halloween pumpkin pie bars.